Another idea-Re: Edgy+1 : Planning for the next Edubuntu version

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 21 09:27:32 UTC 2006

hi,
Am Samstag, den 21.10.2006, 02:31 -0400 schrieb David Trask:
> As schools begin to adopt things like Edubuntu, K12LTSP...etc on a large
> scale....being able to set up multiple servers and centralized
> authentication is a big point.  I already do this using Samba/LDAP.  I
> have multiple K12LTSP servers and a Samba/LDAP server for all users and
> their home directories.  This makes adding servers to the mix....a
> cinch...as I don't have to worry about users and their data....I simply
> point the new server to the Samba/LDAP box.  Matt Oquist and I (more Matt
> than me) have come up with smbldap-installer which makes setting up a
> Samba/LDAP server very easy (http://www.majen.net/smbldap) and thus gives
> the average school IT person(s) another option for centralized
> authentication of student accounts.  The scripts do a lot with user
> creation and passwords as well.  You can also easily set up BDC's as well.
>  We have it working very well in Ubuntu as well as K12LTSP and Fedora
> Core.  In fact, I find Ubuntu server to be one of the better ways to set
> up a Samba/LDAP server.  Anway...my point...

so lets see how we can integrate it in the default server install ;)

> This may be beyond the scope of Ubuntu/Edubuntu, but one thing school
> folks need is the ability to easily set up centralized authentication for
> their Edubuntu network....especially for growing or large networks with
> multiple servers.  Maybe this is something that could be offered.  It
> could also use a pretty face....right now everything is done in the
> CLI...although it's still quite easy...but to make it more attractive to
> the masses...putting a "pretty clicky" interface with it...will speed
> adoption.  Just a thought.  :-)
its totally not beyond the scope of edubuntu, our roadmap was always to
start at a) a single classroom level and build the best for that we can,
then grow in size of features to support b) a whole school setup and in
the end be suitable even for c) municipalicies.
i think with edgy even its not perfect yet we accomplish a)
for b) we surely need a centralized user management that works out of
the box and integration on a workstation level as well as integration on
the ltsp level. so lets build the base for that in mountainview  to have
feisty fawn entering the school and not only the classroom :)

ciao
	oli