CD OK. Boots, runs but won't install. Hangs after keyboard selection?

Robert Citek rwcitek at alum.calberkeley.org
Thu Jun 15 14:36:09 UTC 2006

On Jun 15, 2006, at 8:35 AM, Richard/g wrote:
> That is basically the problem:
> On a P3 w/128MB RAM. The hard disk is already partitioned.

That should work just fine.

> Any pointers or ideas? I've tried noapic. Even the old
> "workstation" to no avail. Should I try the Install CD?
> I read that the Live CD would install so that best to start.

At ByteWorks[1] we've been exploring Edubuntu for our low-end
refurbished PCs and have installed 5.10 and 6.06, both from the
Install CD.  We've also upgraded from 5.10 to 6.06 over the
Internet.  In fact, just last night I upgraded Edubuntu from 5.10 to
6.06 on a 500 MHz x86, 128 MB RAM, 10 GB HDD.  Here's how I did it
(just one of a few ways to do the upgrade):

   {boot into recovery mode}
   sudo apt-get update
   sudo apt-get install update-manager
   exit  # to start normal session

Once the normal Gnome session started, I ran the Update-Manager which
told me there was a new version of Edubuntu.  I clicked the button
and went to home.  This morning I had to go through a few questions
before the upgrade finished.  But in the end, we had Edubuntu 6.06 on
a relatively low-end machine.  Works great.

[1] http://stlouis.missouri.org/bworks/

Regards,
- Robert
robert.citek at bworks.org