Edubuntu Artwork for Edubuntu 6.04 - Dapper Drake

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 13 14:00:46 UTC 2005

hi,
On So, 2005-11-13 at 15:02 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Hi Edubuntu team!
>
> We need to get cracking on a high-quality default theme for Edubuntu.

nope, we'll need more than one.
at ubz one of the most upcoming questions was what we'll do about the
themeing in dapper...

during several discussions we came to the conclusion that we should have
at least two (rather three) different choices...

what i'd like to do with the artwork package is the following:

 * add all graphical and theme elements for all choices and
   install them by default
 * add a debconf question which flavor you want to use, so
   a sudo dpkg-reconfigure edubuntu-artwork will make it possible
   to easily select between lower, mid and higher grade artwork.
 * ask the above debconf question on install to make sure you dont
   have to reconfigure anything (you should already know your target
   audience, right ?).

i think for the lower grades we can go with what we have, people seem to
like it, the only objection i've heard was about the wallpaper, so lets
change this one, but keep the rest for lower grades.

for mid grade i dont know what to do, lets find something beautiful here
for teenagers...probably a wallpaper/splash change would be enough.

for higher grades i'd like to suggest to change to the tango icon theme,
some more "serious" wallpaper and splash screen...

for window frames and gtk themes we should stay with ubuntu as we did in
the breezy release...

any opinions ?

ciao
	oli