Edubuntu documentation project now in Ubuntu Documentation svn

Jerome Gotangco jgotangco at gmail.com
Thu Jun 16 03:03:58 UTC 2005

Hi all,

> > What I do not understand, so far, is why edubuntu would need a SVN for
> > documentation when Moin can work as such, as well.

We currently have all Ubuntu-related documentation (including Kubuntu)
in SVN,  with the exception of the Ubuntu wiki. But some stable wiki
entries will be moved into SVN and become part of official
documentation. Since we're doing the entire documentation at the
moment with DocBook, we don't have to rewrite a lot of things that are
related to Ubuntu, and we'll just add entities for edubuntu in the
global entity file.

BTW, you can checkout all Ubuntu documentation in SVN trunk (make sure
you have subversion installed):

svn checkout https://docteam.ubuntu.com/repos/trunk ubuntu-docs

> > All documentation can be generated and admined by Moin, unless what
> > you want is to have SVN because the source files must be .sxw, .sxc,
> > .doc, etc.

All current Ubuntu documentation source files are in DocBook XML which
can tranformed into various formats (PDF, HTML, etc.). Unless Edubuntu
has other plans with regards to documentation, the existing DocBook
format would probably do for now.

> > And if so, are documents needed to be in those formats or any format
> > different than .html? If so, why is not possible to use Moin to
> > generate all kinds of documents and therefore enable wider
> > possibilites of effective collaborative documentation work?

It has been discussed in various Ubuntu-releated documentation to
totally erase the barrier for community-contributed documentation but
this is a long-term goal. If you are familiar with the existing Ubuntu
wiki, its using zwiki, but is currently moved into Moin and would be
available in a few hours. If there would be issues with regards to
doing Edubuntu documentation in DocBook format in SVN, I would be
happy to hear those views and we'll see what we can do to what we
currently have.

--
Cheers!

Jerome S. Gotangco