Defining rotating chairs for the DMB meetings

Robie Basak robie.basak at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 30 17:54:35 UTC 2024

On Tue, Jan 30, 2024 at 03:01:02PM +0100, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> I suggested doing what the TB is doing and at the end of the meeting
> nominate a chair and a backup for the next meeting following the
> alphabetical order but I think Robie said he would prefer to have a defined
> rotation calendar for the year instead?

If somebody has poorer attendance than the others, then we tend to end
up getting stuck because that person wasn't present when they were
supposed to chair, so they keep the nomination to be chair for next
time, and then they aren't there next time, and the cycle continues. So
we forever have someone nominated who isn't showing up.

That's been my observation in the past, anyway. Instead, if we simply
put a nominated chair against every future meeting (we list the dates
anyway), then hopefully we can avoid the knock-on effect. But maybe this
isn't necessary because attendance is better now.

That's just my suggestion. I don't feel strongly about this and am happy
to experiment with whatever suggestions other people have.

From my personal perspective, a previous change to the meeting schedule
put the earlier DMB meetings in collision with a regular but short
meeting I have at Canonical. I try to attend both simultaneously, and
this is probably preferable to allow others to attend also, but I would
prefer not to chair those. The later ones should usually be OK. Having a
defined rotation calendar should also work better for this kind of
accommodation, but I'm also happy to just try to swap ad-hoc.

Robie