Refreshing the packagesets before the release and how?

Dan Streetman ddstreet at ieee.org
Wed Apr 6 23:09:47 UTC 2022

On Wed, Apr 6, 2022 at 11:18 AM Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hey there,
>
> I got pinged by some ~ubuntu-desktop members asking why some of the new
> GNOME package were missing of the set which made me go and read again
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperMembershipBoard/KnowledgeBase#Packagesets
> but now I've some questions
>
> 1. Do we have any record of when the last refresh was done?

during the previous DMB 'cycle', rafaeldtinoco 'owned' the packageset
tooling, and one of his action items was to document it, but i don't
think that happened.

so, while I think it would be immensely beneficial, no, I don't think
there is any record of when the last packageset refresh was done.

Additionally, rafael had an action item to document how the packageset
refresh process/tooling worked, but I am pretty sure he resigned
before creating that document,

> 2. Should we do one before the release to ensure permissions reflect the
> reality of the archive?

Probably, yes!

Maybe we should have some written docs and/or process around this?

> 3. I did checkout lp:~developer-membership-board/+git/packageset , read
> the README. I don't really feel like I understand the steps from the
> description but I decided to give it a try anyway and started by doing
>
> $ make fetch
> make: fetch.sh: No such file or directory
> make: *** [Makefile:14: fetch] Error 127
>
> That's a on current serie ubunu-desktop environment, unsure if I did
> something wrong or I'm missing some depends or if the code needs to be
> fixed. Could someone who has more experience refreshing the set tell me
> if I'm on the right track at least?

Sorry, I have no idea. Not sure if rafael is still around to provide
help (I think almost certainly, not). I suggest we create some written
docs to help with this, though that's up to the DMB team to decide if
it's necessary, or if we should continue to keep this as tribal
knowledge.