use of private DMB IRC channel

Dan Streetman ddstreet at ieee.org
Mon Apr 4 21:15:12 UTC 2022

I added a AOB item for this to the agenda, but will also start a
thread here for discussion.
The specific item I added is:
"Suggestion (from ddstreet) to discontinue use of private DMB IRC
channel, and keep all official communication public"

As I assume all DMB members know, there is a private IRC channel used
by DMB members for private discussions. This channel is not documented
(that I know of).

I decided to leave this private DMB IRC channel, and my personal
opinion is that the DMB is a public entity, and members are performing
a public service and thus all official communication and discussion
should be public, with exceptions being made for specific reason(s) on
a case-by-case basis. By this I don't mean that individual members
shouldn't reach out to other members privately if there is something
they genuinely need to discuss in private, but I don't feel a private
IRC channel is appropriate.

Obviously, there is no urgent need for the DMB to make any decision on
this, and it's certainly possible for the private IRC channel to
remain in use by any DMB members who choose to do so, with other DMB
members (such as myself) refraining from joining the private DMB
channel. However I wanted to bring this up since the new DMB members
may not be aware of my opinion or my lack of presence in the private
DMB channel, and the new members may also have an opinion on whether
using a private IRC channel is appropriate and/or desirable for the
DMB's goals.