Include fprint packages in the in ubuntu-desktop set

Dan Streetman dan.streetman at canonical.com
Wed Apr 22 21:10:04 UTC 2020

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 2:37 AM Sebastien Bacher <seb128 at ubuntu.com> wrote:

> Hey Dan, thanks for looking at my request!
>
> Le 21/04/2020 à 22:54, Dan Streetman a écrit :
> > So, maybe you can clarify who needs/uses the desktop packagesets; I
> > see both "desktop-core":
> > https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/packagesets/focal/desktop-core
> >
> > and "desktop-extra":
> > https://people.canonical.com/~ubuntu-archive/packagesets/focal/desktop-extra
> >
> > It seems like there are no uploaders at all for "desktop-core", while
> > "desktop-extra" does have uploaders, including ~ubuntu-desktop team.
> > I assume, then, the packageset you're asking about is "desktop-extra"?
> >  Since both your requested packages are already in the "desktop-core"
> > packageset, maybe the ~ubuntu-desktop team should be added as an
> > uploader for the "desktop-core" packageset?
> >
> > I don't have context for the history of the packagesets, but that
> > seems like the most logical thing to do, assuming there is no reason
> > *not* to allow ~ubuntu-desktop upload rights to the "desktop-core"
> > packageset.
>
> Sorry but I don't know of historical reasons/don't really understand the
> purpose of the core/extra split. I would be happy with ~ubuntu-desktop
> getting upload rights for desktop-core but that might give access to
> packages that were not intended for those uploaders? (I see that the set
> includes useful lower level desktop components but also packages from
> other flavors)

So I went back into the archive and it looks like this was discussed
some last June:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/devel-permissions/2019-June/thread.html

specifically the threads involving cyphermox and Laney and gunnarhj:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/devel-permissions/2019-June/001373.html
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/devel-permissions/2019-June/001376.html

After reading those, I think I have even less understanding of why the
desktop-core packageset exists ;-)  I *think* it's because it's used
during germinate, but that seems strange as the point of a
"packageset" seemed (to me, at least) to involve permissions, but that
doesn't appear to be how some of these packagesets are being used.

Anyway, we have an existing action item to (at least) document the dmb
packageset script tooling, so maybe after that's done it will be a bit
clearer to me, or maybe someone else on the dmb understands this
better...

For now, I'll add your requests to the email section of the dmb agenda
for the next meeting (unless any other dmb member wants to handle them
before the meeting).