[packageset] Please add an ubuntu-desktop exception for gnome-shell and gnome-control-center

Iain Lane laney at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 25 08:34:50 UTC 2019

Hi DMB,

We're voting on adding a new member (Gunnar) to ~ubuntu-desktop at the
minute. This prompted me to check a couple of packages, and I found they
aren't in the set, when IMO they should be.

Taking them in turn:

laney at nightingale> edit-acl -s gnome-shell -S eoan query
== All uploaders for package 'gnome-shell' ==
Archive Upload Rights for ubuntu-desktop-extra-dev: archive 'primary', package set 'desktop-extra' in eoan
Archive Upload Rights for ubuntu-mozilla-uploaders: archive 'primary', package set 'mozilla' in eoan
Archive Upload Rights for ubuntu-core-dev: archive 'primary', component 'main' in eoan

desktop-extra is not formally defined¹. I'm too lazy to go look up the
history, but my memory is that it was basically for Ubuntu GNOME either
before it existed or before it would have been able to have an
auto-generated packageset. It was supposed to cover the "universe" of
GNOME packages. This seems clearly obsolete to me now that Shell is part
of Ubuntu Desktop and Ubuntu GNOME is defunct. I think this could be
removed from desktop-extra.

I honestly have no recollection of the mozilla packageset, but AFAICS
Chris will be using those rights when uploading the included packages
since he isn't a core-dev.

Why isn't gnome-shell in ubuntu-desktop? I think this is due to the 'no
sharing with Kubuntu' rule² causing it to be excluded transitively via
screen-resolution-extra. If that's right, it seems incidental to me.
This package is maintained by the Desktop team, and so I think an
exception is appropriate.

(Actually, and I can't remember if the script works this way, I'd hope
that adding an exception would cause the whole chain to fall out into
other packagesets.)

laney at nightingale> edit-acl -s gnome-control-center -S eoan query
== All uploaders for package 'gnome-control-center' ==
Archive Upload Rights for ubuntu-core-dev: archive 'primary', component 'main' in eoan

This is also a Desktop team package, not included in the packageset for
the same reasons as gnome-shell and so I think an exception here would
be good, if fixing gnome-shell alone doesn't make this move over.

Cheers,

--
Iain Lane                                  [ iain at orangesquash.org.uk ]
Debian Developer                                   [ laney at debian.org ]