How can we ensure Bazaar (bzr) remains active?

Brendan Simon (eTRIX) brendan.simon at etrix.com.au
Wed Sep 23 12:57:11 UTC 2015

On 23/09/2015 10:43 pm, Brendan Simon (eTRIX) wrote:
> On 23/09/2015 10:00 pm, bazaar-request at lists.canonical.com wrote:
>> Another big problem we'd still be likely to face though is the dominance
>> of Github vs. Launchpad. While Launchpad is definitely functional, it is
>> by no means as snazzy as Github, and, what's more important, not as
>> well-known or popular. Everybody tells you to have a good Github profile
>> in your CV, I've never heard anybody say that about Launchpad. Apart
>> from the Ubuntu (and derivatives) world, most people seem to be putting
>> their open source projects on Github. And Github happens to be using
>> git, not bzr.
>>
>> P.S. Nice to see some activity on the mailing list again :-) It had
>> become somewhat quiet here...
> That is why I suggested getting some kind of acceptance from BitBucket
> and possibly SourceTree.
>
> BitBucket already handles Git _and_ Mercurial, so adding another DVCS
> would probably be less difficult as the architecture supports multiple
> (2) DVCSes already.  Same with SourceTree.  What would Atlassian get
> out of it?  I'd argue that they could get a better DVCS, be a one stop
> shop for the 3 most popular DVCS systems, and attract more users to
> BitBucket, which could attract more users to their professional paid
> for products (Jira, etc).  The sell to Atlassian would (probably) have
> to be that some core Bazaar developers would do a lot of the work, if
> that's the way they roll?  Doesn't hurt to ask.
>
> I like BitBucket because is has _free private repositories_, supports
> Git and Mercurial, has issue tracking, etc.  I really wish it had
> Bazaar support !!

A BitBucket issue for Bazaar support.

https://bitbucket.org/site/master/issues/476/bazaar-support

This excerpt is from Feb 2013.

"""
I will be honest with you all. We have no plans to support Bazaar. This
is no reflection on the tool.
We just don't see the demand that would make it worth our development
investment.
Right now Git and Hg are the two DVCS's we find most users are looking
for. If that changes in the future we will reconsider supporting
whatever VCS demands that attention.
Thank you for your understanding, cheers,
Dylan
"""

Assuming the attitude is still the same, then one would have to convince
them that Bazaar has, or would have, a significant user uptake, and/or
maybe they would allow some Bazaar developers to make it work on
BitBucket ?  I will ask the question, just to see what kind of response
they give :)