How can we ensure Bazaar (bzr) remains active?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Wed Sep 23 13:22:54 UTC 2015

I think we have to admit that, whilst better in so many ways, Bazaar
lost to Git and Mercurial – for many reasons many of which came out in
this thread.

And as we are seeing, Atlassian now seem to be on a campaign to kill
off Mercurial by making BitBucket a Git repository host.

Mercurial has quite a lot of active resource behind it, but despite
this the Git steamroller, backed by so much resource, is flattening all
opposition.

For me the important thing is not to try and preserve the current
Bazaar project, but to preserve all the ideas ready for the next
project which will be to to write a Git replacement in a rapidly post
-Git world.

Step 1 will be to choose one of Python 3, Go, D, Rust as the language
of implementation. Step 2 will be to take the very excellent Bazaar
branch ideas and place them not in a Launchpad context, but in a post
-(Launchpad|GitHub|GitLab|BitBucket) context: grow the collaboration
model/tool/environment at the same time as the repository and its
tools.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk