bzrlib / loggerhead version binding? (and, well, other plugins version binding)

Wichmann, Mats D mats.d.wichmann at
Tue Feb 7 17:52:13 UTC 2012

I filed a Fedora bug just now because the packaged versions of bzr and
loggerhead are out of sync there - the loggerhead plugin expects API
version 2.3.0 while the shipping bzr is 2.4.x.  This is a distro packaging
issue since both of these are distro provided packages, but...

The question is, does such a tight binding make sense - in this case, and
in general?   I seem to have had a number of problems with plugins and
version binding, e.g. yesterday I ended up with a git plugin that was "too
new" due to just pulling from the plugin's page, and it's not clear exactly
how to get a version that mates well with the bzr version I have.

Note that on loggerhead, the Fedora package maintainer has responded that
"upstream has not released a version that corresponds to the new bzr api
version". (this was if
anybody cares).