RFC: How to translate help topics.

Martin Ueding list at martin-ueding.de
Sat May 7 08:39:23 UTC 2011

> Perhaps a good tradeoff would be to allow each paragraph to be
> translated independently?

The problems with independent paragraphs are not limited to:

- What do you do, if a paragraph is added to the original text?

- What happens, if a paragraph is changed? All other paragraphs would
still be translated, just one paragraph not. This may be better for
somebody how wants to read as much in his native language as possible.
On the other hand, it will present a text with less cohesion.

If the help topics are translated in text files in the branch,
translators can pretty easily run a diff and fix their translations.

When releasing, there should be a message freeze before it, so all
translation would be done and nothing is broken. L10n breaks in
development versions does not seem very bad to me.

* * *

If we decide to use text files, should we organize them in a
topic.lang.txt fashion?