[rfc] bzr-colo into core

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Sat Mar 26 04:24:00 UTC 2011

Martin Pool <mbp at canonical.com> writes:

> Packaging bzr-colo [for inclusion in Debian] as it stands now would be
> useful in its own right, and would help people participating in this
> thread try it out.

Yes. I certainly don't have the bandwidth as a user to go installing
packages from outside Debian's repositories just to see if I'm
interested in them.

If there's something I *know* I'll be wanting, then it might cross the
threshold and become something I can spend the attention and care on to
manage it outside the packaging system.

If, after that turns out to be something I want to use and know I will
continue to use for the foreseeable future, I might package it myself if
it hasn't already happened.

But:

> If you want to package it, Jelmer or myself will mentor/sponsor you.

That gets it quite backward. The Debian community, quite rightly,
discourages people declaring themselves maintainer for a package they're
not prepared to maintain.

I have no idea whether I'd want to maintain ‘bzr-colo’ for Debian
indefinitely, so that makes me a very poor choice of maintainer. That is
better done by someone who already knows they will continue using it
themselves for a good amount of time.

--
 \       “I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not |
  `\    our children's children, because I don't think children should |