[Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Re: [rfc] bzr-colo into core

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at canonical.com
Wed Mar 23 18:08:37 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-03-23 at 10:23 -0400, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> On 3/23/2011 9:49 AM, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
>
> >> Good point. That would change `bzr branch` to be solely for creating
> >> branching in an existing local repo? `bzr clone` would be the command
> >> for fetching remote repos or standalone branches.
>
> > It would still be used for cloning individual branches rather than
> > collections of branches (for which clone would be used), so it would
> > stay consistent with the current bzr behaviour.
>
> Why not use the clone command for all forms of cloning? It would seem
> more consistent to me. I want to clone this standalone branch from this
> dir to this other dir.
I think this is changing the meaning of "standalone", which has always
meant a branch that has its own repository (that's how "bzr info"
describes it at the moment), as opposed to a branch in a shared
repository.

If you mean a single branch, I think it would be useful to preserve the
behaviour of the current command while also allowing some new behaviour.
E.g. I imagine "bzr branch" (without arguments) could list the existing
branches and the bzr branch command could be used to create new
colocated branches:

$ bzr st
Currently on branch cleanup.
? x