bzr-svn: tracking svn merges

Max Bowsher maxb at f2s.com
Fri Mar 4 21:41:20 UTC 2011

On 04/03/11 20:44, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> Would it be possible for bzr-svn to track svn merges the same way bzr can
> track its own merges?

As I understand it, the problems involved are:

* to change how a revision is represented at all, a bzr-svn mapping
version change is needed, and that's something that happens only when
very necessary.

* Bazaar lacks a concept anywhere near as expressive as svn mergeinfo,
which can track: 1) cherrypicking, 2) un-merging, and 3) merges of subtrees.

* Assuming you get the revision graph built properly, you need a fairly
non-trivial overhaul of bzr-svn file-id generation to get file ancestry
for files added by merges to work right.

That said, I'm actively trying to skunkworks up a hacked version of
bzr-svn operating on the several drastic simplifications:

* Disregard the fact that revision-ids *ought* to be different if a
different revision is generated based on the same svn repository.

* Disregard cherrypicking mergeinfo, representing full-merges will be
good enough.

* Disregard un-merging, it doesn't happen often.

* Disregard subtree mergeinfo, it seems to occur much more because svn
is weird than because of people actually doing subtree merges.

* Disregard the whole file-id issue, spurious replacements of file
identity during merges of historic branches aren't that much of a problem.

... because if I can make it work, even with those rather drastic
corners being cut, I'll have a viable tool for one-time svn to native
bzr migrations of work projects.

Max.