bzr-svn: tracking svn merges

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Fri Mar 4 22:27:18 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-03-04 at 21:41 +0000, Max Bowsher wrote:
> On 04/03/11 20:44, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> > Would it be possible for bzr-svn to track svn merges the same way bzr can
> > track its own merges?
> As I understand it, the problems involved are:
>
> * to change how a revision is represented at all, a bzr-svn mapping
> version change is needed, and that's something that happens only when
> very necessary.
>
> * Bazaar lacks a concept anywhere near as expressive as svn mergeinfo,
> which can track: 1) cherrypicking, 2) un-merging, and 3) merges of subtrees.
>
> * Assuming you get the revision graph built properly, you need a fairly
> non-trivial overhaul of bzr-svn file-id generation to get file ancestry
> for files added by merges to work right.

> That said, I'm actively trying to skunkworks up a hacked version of
> bzr-svn operating on the several drastic simplifications:
>
> * Disregard the fact that revision-ids *ought* to be different if a
> different revision is generated based on the same svn repository.
If you end up doing this in *any* copy of bzr-svn, please make sure the
prefix is at least different.

> * Disregard cherrypicking mergeinfo, representing full-merges will be
> good enough.
>
> * Disregard un-merging, it doesn't happen often.
>
> * Disregard subtree mergeinfo, it seems to occur much more because svn
> is weird than because of people actually doing subtree merges.
>
> * Disregard the whole file-id issue, spurious replacements of file
> identity during merges of historic branches aren't that much of a problem.
>
> ... because if I can make it work, even with those rather drastic
> corners being cut, I'll have a viable tool for one-time svn to native
> bzr migrations of work projects.
I'm open to supporting extra options to "bzr svn-import" to modify its
behaviour to for example support this, generating .bzrignore from
svn:ignore, etc. as long as the revision ids generated are
(pseudo)random, or don't overlap with existing revision ids.

Cheers,

Jelmer