$HOME/.bazaar/plugins Path Not Used by Default

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Sun Oct 17 18:29:28 BST 2010

    > On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 10:21, John Arbash Meinel
    > <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
    >> On 10/15/2010 10:14 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
    >>> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 09:25, John Arbash Meinel
    >>> <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
    >> We intentionally had BZR_PLUGIN_PATH have a way to *exclude* personal
    >> plugins, in case you want to try something. I don't see it being
    >> particularly hard to add some sort of:
    >>
    >>  BZR_PLUGIN_PATH="/system/wide/plugins:$HOME/.bazaar/plugins"

    > I can't argue with that, but it needs to be advertised.  I'm happy to
    > attempt some doc patches and will attempt same soon.

    >> Our actual policy is that user specific plugins take precedence to
    >> system-wide plugins. Why do you feel that order should be reversed?
    >> (IMO, the closer you are to the user, the more control you should have...)

    > I guess it depends on what the plugins are.  In my limited bzr
    > experience it looks like some plugins are core-quality and thus should
    > not normally be over-ridden by the user inserting plugins in front of
    > them

Well, the counter argument is that it makes it easier to test a fix (or
a new feature or getting involved in the plugin dev) by installing a
newer version (as a user since you can't install it system wide).

Of course both point of views are valid since you may try a plugin,
forget about it, and fail to use the system-wide installed one when it
is packaged and/or installed on your system.

   Vincent