Bazaar dirstate locking (was: lock_* API change)

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Sat May 15 13:19:42 BST 2010

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > ??? I do use Bazaar as a dVCS.  But from time to time, I do need to
 > commit a changeset to the master repository, in order for it to be
 > "propagated as completed transactions to other nodes of the database".
 > And that is when I see the problems I described.
 >
 > Am I missing something?

Vocabulary, perhaps.  When you write "commit", do you mean *commit* or
do you mean *push*?

In a DVCS, *commit* is distinguished from *push*.  *push* should be a
read-only operation locally; if push can't be done without locking the
repo to new commits past the few microseconds needed to read the revid
of the tip, indeed that's a bug that should get some attention over a
span of years.  *commit*, OTOH, in my experience does not take
"seconds" (well, maybe two), let alone "minutes", when done locally.
The only way I can imagine a *commit* taking minutes is if you're
using a (lightweight) checkout.