Bazaar dirstate locking (was: lock_* API change)

Eli Zaretskii eliz at gnu.org
Sat May 15 14:34:57 BST 2010

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen at xemacs.org>
> Cc: robertc at robertcollins.net,
>     bazaar at lists.canonical.com,
>     monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
> Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 21:19:42 +0900
>
> When you write "commit", do you mean *commit* or do you mean *push*?

I mean "bzr commit", but when I send my changes upstream, I do that in
a bound branch.  As you well know, the master repository in Emacs
development is on a remote machine.

> In a DVCS, *commit* is distinguished from *push*.  *push* should be a
> read-only operation locally; if push can't be done without locking the
> repo to new commits past the few microseconds needed to read the revid
> of the tip, indeed that's a bug that should get some attention over a
> span of years.  *commit*, OTOH, in my experience does not take
> "seconds" (well, maybe two), let alone "minutes", when done locally.
> The only way I can imagine a *commit* taking minutes is if you're
> using a (lightweight) checkout.

I'm using a bound branch.

When I commit to a local branch, it is indeed much faster, but still
far from microseconds, even if I don't take my time editing the commit
message.  And dirstate is locked for all that time.