Clarification on some jargon...

Parth Malwankar parth.malwankar at gmail.com
Tue May 11 11:43:51 BST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 3:37 PM, John Szakmeister <john at szakmeister.net> wrote:
> I'm trying to write some documentation for our folks at work (and
> create a small class to help introduce them to Bazaar).  I've run into
> a conundrum though: what does 'bzr init' produce?

Hi John,

As I understand it, 'repository' refers to the '.bzr' folder found inside
bzr branches. Now, the repository may be shared (created with init-repo).
'bzr init' creates a branch i.e. a directory which may have a working tree.
A working tree / working copy is files within the branch directory. If the
branch is created (with init) inside a shared repo, the revisions are added
to the shared .bzr. In the branch is created outside of any shared repo,
the branch contains its own repo (.bzr)
to which newer revisions are added.
The is a glossary[1] outside of core docs that may be helpful. I believe
there is an open bug to roll this into the docs.

Regards,
Parth
[1] http://wiki.bazaar.canonical.com/BzrGlossary