Bazaar Presentation.

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Mar 25 13:42:53 GMT 2010

Ben Finney writes:

 > Whereas the equivalent to ‘git help’ is ‘bzr help’, each of which
 > listing only the most important commands. If you're comparing like with
 > like you should show "Bazaar has about 13 basic commands, Git has about
 > 20 basic commands".

I don't think this comparison is actually all that useful.  In fact,
the number of basic commands is very close to the same, depending on
what you count as "basic".  Of the 21 git commands listed in git help,
at least bisect, fetch, grep, mv, rebase, and show are not at all
basic, which gets you down to 15 for git.  Both lists omit what I
would consider basic commands: bzr ls, bzr whoami, git config, git
ls-files.  While git clone is really the only sane way to start a new
mirror branch in git, to get the effect of "bzr branch" in git you
would actually do "git init; git pull <url> <refspec>".  On the other
hand, to get the full effect of git clone in bazaar, you need to know
about bzr init-repository, and some rather advanced techniques like
lightweight checkouts and "bzr switch".

So I would say that the two command sets are approximately of the same
complexity for very basic usage, and that the real differences only
show up when you start doing more complex things.  Then you find that
git provides a lot of commands that manipulate the DAG, while bzr
provides more commands that support higher level workflows.