Bazaar Presentation.

Ben Finney ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au
Thu Mar 25 08:21:53 GMT 2010

Eric Berry <elberry at gmail.com> writes:

>    Thanks for the pointers. I'll make the changes you mentioned below,
> and I'll add a note about why I didn't look in to Mercurial (hg).

Sure. I was just noting that it's a question you'll likely be asked by
viewers of the presentation, so anticipating it will keep you from
needing to come up with a useful answer on your feet :-)

> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Ben Finney
> <ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bbazaar at benfinney.id.au>
> > wrote:
> > In the “Idea to project” slide, an important distinction between Git
> > and Bazaar in remote setup is that Bazaar remote repositories can be
> > stored and published via existing standard protocols (HTTP, SFTP)
> > without anything specific running on the remote end.
[…]

> I didn't think you could do writes over http? I remember reading in
> the documentation that bzr over http is read-only.

Correct. I was meaning that one can publish a branch using nothing more
than existing hosting space with FTP or SFTP to write, and HTTP to read.

Note Stephen J. Turnbull's reply also, which corrects me on Git's
capabilities.

> > The count of commands is rather misleading. Those “60+ commands” are
> > not necessary commands from Bazaar core, but from numerous
> > extensions you may have installed. The set of core commands is
> > listed by ‘bzr help’, some 13 commands.
>
> Ah, ok. I'll make a note of that. I did a 'bzr help commands'

Right, that's the mistake. The equivalent to ‘bzr help commands’ would
be ‘man git’; you'll notice dozens upon dozens of different commands
there.

Whereas the equivalent to ‘git help’ is ‘bzr help’, each of which
listing only the most important commands. If you're comparing like with
like you should show “Bazaar has about 13 basic commands, Git has about
20 basic commands”.

> and counted the ones that weren't provided by a plugin - signified by
> the [plugin name] at the end of the command. Are there commands there
> that are provided by plugins, but aren't signified that way?

Rather, both Bazaar and Git have many commands that are not important
until you have been working with the system for a while. With Bazaar,
you're right that many of these extras are provided by plug-ins; but not
all of them.

> Thanks for pointing this out though, I'll make a note to make sure
> that people don't think they'll need to use all of the available
> commands to make the most out of Bazaar.

Sure. It was the first-impression comparison that I wanted to simplify
and clarify.

> Thanks again for all the pointers.

Glad to help, and thank you for maintaining this.

--
 \     “Anyone can do any amount of work provided it isn't the work he |
  `\          is supposed to be doing at the moment.” —Robert Benchley |