Bazaar Presentation.

Eric Berry elberry at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 16:53:42 GMT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 1:21 AM, Ben Finney
<ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au<ben%2Bbazaar at benfinney.id.au>
> wrote:

> Sure. I was just noting that it's a question you'll likely be asked by
> viewers of the presentation, so anticipating it will keep you from
> needing to come up with a useful answer on your feet :-)

Absolutely. It's a good point, and thanks for covering my toes. :)

> > On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 5:47 PM, Ben Finney
> > <ben+bazaar at benfinney.id.au <ben%2Bbazaar at benfinney.id.au><
> ben%2Bbazaar at benfinney.id.au <ben%252Bbazaar at benfinney.id.au>>
> > > wrote:
> > > In the “Idea to project” slide, an important distinction between Git
> > > and Bazaar in remote setup is that Bazaar remote repositories can be
> > > stored and published via existing standard protocols (HTTP, SFTP)
> > > without anything specific running on the remote end.
> […]
> >
> > I didn't think you could do writes over http? I remember reading in
> > the documentation that bzr over http is read-only.
>
> Correct. I was meaning that one can publish a branch using nothing more
> than existing hosting space with FTP or SFTP to write, and HTTP to read.
>
> Note Stephen J. Turnbull's reply also, which corrects me on Git's
> capabilities.

Cool. Thank you and Stephen. Bazaar's out-of-the-box FTP support was a big
deciding factor for me. I already had a domain and some cheap hosting, and
it was very nice to be able to make use of that when starting up personal
projects.

> > > The count of commands is rather misleading. Those “60+ commands” are
> > > not necessary commands from Bazaar core, but from numerous
> > > extensions you may have installed. The set of core commands is
> > > listed by ‘bzr help’, some 13 commands.
> >
> > Ah, ok. I'll make a note of that. I did a 'bzr help commands'
>
> Right, that's the mistake. The equivalent to ‘bzr help commands’ would
> be ‘man git’; you'll notice dozens upon dozens of different commands
> there.
>
> Whereas the equivalent to ‘git help’ is ‘bzr help’, each of which
> listing only the most important commands. If you're comparing like with
> like you should show “Bazaar has about 13 basic commands, Git has about
> 20 basic commands”.

Ah, I see what you mean now. Based on some of the other comments in this
thread, I think I will take this one out. Unless you guys think it's a good
point that there are "dozens upon dozens" of git commands?

I originally had the idea for a "Some helpful commands bzr has, that git
doesn't", but I don't know git well enough to know what that would be. Any
help here would be greatly appreciated.

Some that I use on a daily basis that I don't think git has is:
bzr missing
bzr alias (I've aliased a few common commands for my common usages: log
--forward, shelve --all, etc...)

I didn't think this was enough to warrant it's own slide though.

Cheers, and thanks everyone for the advice, and experiences. Keep them
coming.
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
Blog: http://www.townsfolkdesigns.com/blogs/elberry