Drupal considering moving to bzr or git (from CVS)

Eric Berry elberry at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 18:30:18 GMT 2010

I know the decision has basically been made, but there is a small point I'd
like to make.

There is a small feature of Bazaar which I believe plays very well with
Drupal usage. It was mentioned in one of your comments David, and is often
overlooked I think.

Bazaar supports FTP out of the box for both branching and pushing. I think
this is a key feature of bzr in regards to it's usability with websites.

As an "end-user" of drupal, I could install the Drupal files on my new host
by doing something as simple as:
[code]
bzr branch [remote drupal 8 branch] drupal_8
bzr branch drupal_8 my.domain.com
cd my.domain.com
bzr push ftp://[my remote host]/www
[/code]

I don't even need an FTP client. Now I just go through the online
instructions. The second branch into my.domain.com isn't really necessary,
but will make upgrading easier.

Upgrading:
[code]
bzr branch [remote drupal 8.x branch] drupal_8.x
cd my.domain.com
bzr merge ../drupal_8.x
bzr push ftp://[my remote host]/www
[/code]

This is nice as it will delete files which have been removed in the Drupal
8.x branch, and will only push the differences, making the upgrade quicker
and safer.

If I'm the developer of a new website and I am using bzr for my website's
other code, then I can upgrade my Drupal website, manage non-drupal parts of
my code, and push the changes live all with one tool.

Lastly, in my opinion, the FTP support makes bzr very cheap to use. I don't
know of any hosting company (even the really inexpensive ones) that can
support Drupal and doesn't offer FTP making it the ideal VCS solution for
startups. This is one of the reasons why I (myself) chose both Drupal and
Bazaar to do the few websites I've developed for people.

Just m2c.
Eric

--
Learn from the past. Live in the present. Plan for the future.
11101000