'bzr blame' fails with ghost revisions and 'bzr check' output...

David Muir davidkmuir at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 03:50:08 GMT 2010

John Szakmeister wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM, John Arbash Meinel
> <john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>
>>> In my case, the graph looks more like:
>>> |\
>>> | |
>>> | |

>>> So the parents for E is both A and D.  But in the inventory (I
>>> assume), it knows that C is a (text) parent of D.  It's complaining
>>> about the fact that C is missing.  Does that make sense?
>>>
>>> -John
>>>

>> Right, so after going to svn and then back to bzr, at the *revision*
>> level you end up with:

>> | ? # D something
>> |/
>>
>> At the inventory level, some things probably reference any of B, C, D.
>>

> I understand that.  I was trying to give you more information so that
> we could understand the inconsistent parent bit.  Here's the output of
> 'bzr check':
>
> checked repository <bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport
> url=file:///Users/jszakmeister/tmp/ghost/trunk2/> format
> <RepositoryFormat2a>
>      3 revisions
>      2 file-ids
>      0 unreferenced text versions
>      1 ghost revisions
>       john at szakmeister.net-20100109110920-2o7etdw3o064uaee
>      1 inconsistent parents
>       * 2 at b41ffb15-e730-42e5-b8a5-20245dfbf914:trunk%2Ffile.txt
> version john at szakmeister.net-20100109110920-2o7etdw3o064uaee has
> parents ('john at szakmeister.net-20100109110920-rsdetf6fzzfyopbd',) but
> should have ()
> checked branch file:///Users/jszakmeister/tmp/ghost/trunk2/ format
> Branch format 7
>
> The parent it's referring to is a text-parent for file.txt.
>
> So my question is: should 'bzr check' be telling me this?  And if so,
> then what does bzr-svn need to do to make this problem go away?  Given
> what was said earlier in the thread, should 'bzr check' be modified to
> say that this is okay?  Right now it exits with an error code.
>
> The place that I'm trying to reach here is that I'd very much like to
> use bzr for most of our development.  But, we need to operate against
> svn repositories in many cases.  So, I'd like to reach a happy place
> where everything works as it should, all checks pass, etc.
>
> -John

You should see mine:

Checking working tree at '/home/dmuir/www/book_dev'.
Checking branch at 'file:///home/dmuir/www/book_dev/'.
Checking repository at 'file:///home/dmuir/www/book_dev/'.
checked repository <bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport
url=file:///home/dmuir/www/book_dev/> format
<RepositoryFormat2a>

   627 revisions
  2885 file-ids
   165 ghost revisions
  1482 inconsistent parents
checked branch file:///home/dmuir/www/book_dev/ format Branch format 7

David