'bzr blame' fails with ghost revisions and 'bzr check' output...

John Szakmeister john at szakmeister.net
Tue Jan 12 15:48:28 GMT 2010

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
[snip]
>> In my case, the graph looks more like:
>> |\
>> | |
>> | |
>> |/
>>
>> So the parents for E is both A and D.  But in the inventory (I
>> assume), it knows that C is a (text) parent of D.  It's complaining
>> about the fact that C is missing.  Does that make sense?
>>
>> -John
>>

> Right, so after going to svn and then back to bzr, at the *revision*
> level you end up with:

> | ? # D something
> |/
>
> At the inventory level, some things probably reference any of B, C, D.

I understand that.  I was trying to give you more information so that
we could understand the inconsistent parent bit.  Here's the output of
'bzr check':

checked repository <bzrlib.transport.local.LocalTransport
url=file:///Users/jszakmeister/tmp/ghost/trunk2/> format
<RepositoryFormat2a>
     3 revisions
     2 file-ids
     0 unreferenced text versions
     1 ghost revisions
      john at szakmeister.net-20100109110920-2o7etdw3o064uaee
     1 inconsistent parents
      * 2 at b41ffb15-e730-42e5-b8a5-20245dfbf914:trunk%2Ffile.txt
version john at szakmeister.net-20100109110920-2o7etdw3o064uaee has
parents ('john at szakmeister.net-20100109110920-rsdetf6fzzfyopbd',) but
should have ()
checked branch file:///Users/jszakmeister/tmp/ghost/trunk2/ format
Branch format 7

The parent it's referring to is a text-parent for file.txt.

So my question is: should 'bzr check' be telling me this?  And if so,
then what does bzr-svn need to do to make this problem go away?  Given
what was said earlier in the thread, should 'bzr check' be modified to
say that this is okay?  Right now it exits with an error code.

The place that I'm trying to reach here is that I'd very much like to
use bzr for most of our development.  But, we need to operate against
svn repositories in many cases.  So, I'd like to reach a happy place
where everything works as it should, all checks pass, etc.

-John