branch specific rules - the latest proposal

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Thu Nov 12 23:50:59 GMT 2009

On Fri, 2009-11-13 at 07:48 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:
> I spoke to Martin yesterday about this and our proposal is to store
> branch specific rules in .bzrmeta/rules. This file will be versioned.
>
> Some other important details:
>
> * The .bzrmeta directory will be the recommended place for plugins
>    to store "in tree metadata".
>
> * Content filters will not be applied to files in that directory.
>
> * If conflicts exist in .bzrmeta/xxxxx after a merge, the base
>    content will be used. Otherwise, the in-tree content will be used.
>
> There will undoubtedly be more devil in the detail but that's the
> direction we're thinking of currently.
>
> We'll discuss this further today with interested parties (Robert, Aaron,
> John, etc.). If anyone on the list likes or dislikes the above, please
> speak up.
This makes it practically impossible to support the conversion of this
sort of metadata in the foreign branch plugins. While I can understand
that that should not necessarily be a blocker (perfect is the enemy of
good, etc), I thought I should mention it anyway for completeness' sake.

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org