Any ex ClearCase or VSS users out there?

Maritza Mendez martitzam at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 17:40:52 BST 2009

On Thu, Oct 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM, Voelker, Bernhard <
bernhard.voelker at siemens-enterprise.com> wrote:

> Maritza Mendez wrote:
>
> > Berny: The screenshot you attached is one of the cleanest, most orderly
> > version trees I have ever seen in ClearCase.
>
> In some projects (CC VOBs), we have the workflow integrated in our own
> IDE tool, i.e. the tool is doing all for you. I've designed that workflow
> years ago, so nobody has to care about CC internals.

Ah.  You have protected your developers.  That can be very effective,
especially in large teams.

> In another project, we just do the feature development on the /main branch
> and releasing test builds from time to time. When the code has become
> mature,
> we release a stable version and mark this as the base for a bugfix branch.
> I.e. if a productive is fixed, it's usually done on that bugfix branch and
> then merged back into the main branch.

We absolutely cannot work on /main for a variety of reasons, most of them
having more to do with QA requirements and organizational rules.  It's great
to work that way when you have the regulatory flexibility *and* all your
developers are responsible version control experts.

> I admin that we don't have much parallel versions out there (<=3) because
> we control when the software is being installed on the user's PCs.
> Additionally, we can control the number of parallel features to come in the
> next major, quarterly release ... and last - maybe like in every ClearCase
> project - we have a rather small # of developers on each project (<= ~20).

We have a lot of parallel development -- typically five or six feature
branches and perhaps twice that many bugfixing branches.  Consider that some
features are "modules" which are shared between multiple products, and
things get interetsing.

> I can't say if I'd dare to switch to bzr with these projects, not only
> because I've grown up with ClearCase but more because the "developers"
> are just "using" the ClearCase integration in the IDE while not knowing
> much about ClearCase or VCSs in general at all.
> A migration therefore is not only about migrating the repository but
> also the tools would have to be adapted. I personally don't have
> much experience in using bzr in a proper way yet.

*Exactly!*  The most important part is the people and being able to explain
the tools to them in a way that they can understand and use.  Unless you can
hide it all from them, which you seem to have accomplished better than I
could have dreamed.

> Have a nice day,
> Berny

Thanks.  Again, I confess my admiration for your solution which seems
perfectly matched to how your team needs to work.  I admire a smooth running
machine, even if I need a different machine.  :)

~M