http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrFeatures - improving page

Ian Clatworthy ian.clatworthy at canonical.com
Tue Sep 29 07:48:57 BST 2009

Jari Aalto wrote:

> The section moves were very good. The page is much clearer now.

Thanks.

> It's probably me, raised in Finland, that somehow I feel more confident
> in reading rather neutral texts which use basic, passive tone. I tend to
> consider those texts more trustworthy when they leave decicions to my
> consideration; tells me what it has to offer and try to avoid to "court"
> me with:
>
>     You ...
>     Your [team] ...
>     Theirs ...
>     We ...
>     Our ...

I'd rather not change that. "You/we" makes it more personal and is quite
appropriate on a page like this. I agree it would be out of place in a
whitepaper but this page isn't one of those.

As a comparison point, see https://launchpad.net/+tour/index. The
opening line is "Publish your work". Subsequent links are titled "Create
your Launchpad account", etc.

> I would also be very wary about not comparing or making other tools to
> appear in a bad light.

This is a difficult topic. Potential adopters genuinely want to know
"Why Bazaar vs Xxx" and it's pointless rehashing the same material over
and over on the mailing list and IRC. Capturing the key differences on
Wiki pages makes more sense to me but it's notoriously difficult to keep
it current as the tool evolve. The differences are often a matter a
perspective as well, e.g. usability.

Having said that, the point of this page isn't Bazaar vs XXX. If we're
painting other tools in a bad light anywhere on this page, let's change it.

Ian C.