Confused about versions ... 1.17, 1.18rc1, 2.0rc1

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Sep 8 04:00:54 BST 2009

    martin> 2009/9/7 Vincent Ladeuil <v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr>:
    >>    >> We now have all the installers so it is just the announcement and
    >>    >> update on the web site that is lacking.
    >>
    >>    bialix> Martin, I think your experiment with delayed announce reveals
    >>    bialix> that it's bad idea. Old approach has its own cons but have enough
    >>    bialix> pros to continue use it. IMO of course.
    >>
    >> Well, may be we can try a *second* time before throwing the idea
    >> with the bath water ? ":-)

    martin> It does make it more prone to being forgotten if you
    martin> have to check back and/or chase up packagers, and
    martin> then do the announcement several days later.

How about a fixed delay between the source release and the
announcement ?

7 days was enough to build the world in many legends, should be
enough for packagers, no ?

The intent with separating source release and announcement was to
have installers and packages ready when the announce is made. The
idea was to leave a short delay to packagers, but there is no
point in leaving them a delay more important than the average we
observed previously between announce and installers
availability.

So I'd say, let's start with a 7-days max delay and let's reduce
that as we automate installers and package building.

     Vincent