metronome mail for Bazaar 2.0 (or 1.18) - 6 August

Richard Wilbur richard.wilbur at gmail.com
Sun Jul 26 08:03:18 BST 2009

On Sat, 2009-07-25 at 07:47 +1000, Martin Pool wrote:
[...]
> I think regarding Karmic the single most important point is to have a
> bzr in there that can read the 2a formats and therefore interoperate
> with other ones released over the next months or year.  It looks like
> we'll also want an inventory delta based bundle, which was not in
> 1.17, but should be in 1.18 - I don't know if that will be into Karmic
> or not.

I agree as the developer who is not a bzr developer is far less likely
to manually update bzr versions.  Furthermore, if it Just Works there
will be no reason to manually update bzr and thus bzr will have more
happy users.  The developer can then participate in projects which use
bzr VCS and enjoy the benefits of distributed VCS.

> There's a related point here of getting new releases to people on old
> Ubuntu releases - the majority stick with the one that was originally
> released.  I think changing it underneath them, if they're not
> specifically wanting an upgrade and expecting the version will be
> stable across their team, may be unwelcome.  But having it in
> ubuntu-backports so that it can be fairly easily installed from an
> official source would be good.  Any thoughts?

Using the ubuntu-backports repository as you suggest for updates is
beneficial as it bears the imprimatur of Ubuntu and in common parlance
"official" <=> "safe".  If we go this route, I think we should make a
prominent note of this update source, and how to use it, on the wiki.