selftest prompts for ssh password ??

Vincent Ladeuil v.ladeuil+lp at free.fr
Tue Jun 23 08:26:38 BST 2009

    Maritza> I have just taken the 1.16 PPA packages for jaunty
    Maritza> and started selftest, with stdout redirected to a
    Maritza> file.

    Maritza> As usual for me, the first stall occurs at

    Maritza> test_http.TestActivity.test_get(urllib,https,HTTP/1.0)

    Maritza> That much is reproducible.

Grr.

Do you have bzr-gtk installed ? What version ? Can you try
without that plugin ? I suspect the seahorse integration acting
differently on your system than mine. Wild guess, but as since I
can't reproduce it...

Another thing you can try: Ctrl-\ should drop you under the
python debugger, from there issuing 'bt' will show you a
backtrace that may help us understand what happens.

    Maritza> What is *not* reproducible is that on stderr (still
    Maritza> attached to the console) I got this:

    Maritza> SSH: bzr jim at bar.org password: SSH: bzr jim at bar.org password:

    Maritza> Several attempts to reproduce this prompt under
    Maritza> various circumstances (stdout redirected or not,
    Maritza> stderr redirected or not) have all failed.

    Maritza> Digging into test_config.py suggests that bzr is
    Maritza> waiting for an interactive response like 'jimpass'

    Maritza> But as I say I have not been able to repeat this...

    Maritza> I do notice some advisements that pycurl cannot
    Maritza> prompt, but as you can see this error *appears* to
    Maritza> be related to urllib -- not pycurl.

Yet, I can run the full test suite if I uninstall pycurl...

    Maritza> I say "appears" because I am assuming (without
    Maritza> proof) that stdout and stdin are in sync, and
    Maritza> there's really no good reason to believe that.  So
    Maritza> all I can really say is "At a time when selftest has
    Maritza> hung -- as confirmed by strace -- the last messages
    Maritza> flushed to stdout and stderr are such-and-such."

Oh, if you run with strace then the end of that trace may be
interesting.

    Maritza> Is selftest really prompting me to enter a password?
    Maritza> And if so, why have I seen it only once in numerous
    Maritza> selftest runs or test_http?

    Maritza> Any ideas?

These symptoms *may* match the catch-all credential store
installed by bzr-gtk. If that's the case, the tests are not
properly isolated and that should be fixed.

         Vincent