selftest prompts for ssh password ??

Martin Pool mbp at sourcefrog.net
Tue Jun 23 06:54:52 BST 2009

2009/6/23 Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>:
> Maritza Mendez writes:
>
>  > I say "appears" because I am assuming (without proof) that stdout and stdin
>  > are in sync, and there's really no good reason to believe that.  So all I
>  > can really say is "At a time when selftest has hung -- as confirmed by
>  > strace -- the last messages flushed to stdout and stderr are such-and-such."
>
> stderr doesn't buffer.  If you can identify a message as being on
> stderr, then you know that the program didn't get as far as the next
> text that should appear on stderr.

Most tests run with stderr and stdout replaced with in-memory buffers,
and that's what I was referring to - a StringIO, more like an emacs
buffer than a stdio buffer.  These are printed in case of a failure,
though usually with some decoration indicating what they are.

To be a bit pedantic, I think python stderr does line-buffer by
default.  But your point that it would localize the hang is still kind
of true.

This is only speculation, I can't work out from that test how those
messages would be printed at all.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>