bzr workflow

Nagy Viktor viktor.nagy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 19:27:06 BST 2009

Hi,

even after using bzr for small scale, mainly private projects, I'm a bit
confused about the recommended workflow, and now would like to start a
shared work. Could you please clarify whether the following is fine, and
give some replies to the questions at the end?

how to share my work with a public trunk

(1) get mainline
$ bzr checkout bzr://trunk ~/trunk

(2) start my own branch
$ cd ~/trunk
$ bzr branch ~/trunk ~/project1

hack here
(3) commit to branch
$ bzr commit

(4) merge to trunk
$ cd ~/trunk
$ bzr merge ~/project1
$ bzr commit -m 'merged project1'
the last commit made the changes public as well, given that it was a
checkout not a branch of trunk

questions:
1. is there anything to adjust on this workflow?
2. would it be better to use a --lightwieght checkout at (1)? why?
3. would it be better to use bzr branch instead of bzr checkout in (1)? why?
4. is it possible to do proper merging/sharing without a local copy of
trunk? (starting with $bzr branch bzr://trunk ~/myproject)
5. how to follow trunk with project1? my idea is the following

$ cd ~/project1
$ bzr commit -m 'status before updating from trunk'
$ cd ~/trunk
$ bzr pull
$ cd ~/project1
$ bzr merge ~/trunk
and then see what changed
$ bzr status
$ bzr diff
hack here if needed
$ bzr commit -m 'updated to trunk'

I hope my description is clear enough, and you will be able to help.

Viktor