[rfc] time to switch to Launchpad reviews

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Thu May 7 01:59:15 BST 2009

2009/5/7 Andrew Bennetts <andrew.bennetts at canonical.com>:
> This documentation doesn't say how to mark a patch as being for a particular
> release or bug.
>
> My guess is that:
>
>  * bug linking will be taken care of by using --fixes=lp:NNNN (or through
>   the web UI).

Yes, or by linking the branch to the bug or vice versa through the UI.

>  * targeting a release is done by bzr sending to the release branch rather
>   than bzr.dev?

Yes.

> This doesn't seem to give enough granularity to
>   distinguish between “I want this in 1.x” and “I want this in 1.x.1”, but
>   perhaps that doesn't matter (and perhaps bug milestones would be a better
>   mechanism).

At the code level it doesn't directly matter, you just want to do the
merge.  The fact tha you want to do it before a particular date or
release can be done to targetting the bug to the milestone.  It would
be nice if code reviews could also show that information along the
lines of "this review is for a bug targetted to Friday's release, do
it first."

> I think you're right that we shouldn't be duplicating generic Launchpad
> Reviews docs here, but more probably needs to be said at least about the
> release targeting w.r.t. to how Bazaar uses Launchpad for release management
> (e.g. we have X.Y branches, but not X.Y.Z branches).

Good point, I'll try to revisit that.

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>