[rfc] time to switch to Launchpad reviews

Andrew Bennetts andrew.bennetts at canonical.com
Thu May 7 01:09:35 BST 2009

Martin Pool wrote:
[...]
> OK, I've done that here:
> <https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~mbp/bzr/doc/+merge/6199> (and also
> attached.)
>
> I've tried to give an overview of how they should be used with Bazaar,
> and it makes clear that you can still use BB.
>
> This file is not the right place for detailed documentation on how to
> use Launchpad Reviews (as opposed to "how to use them _for Bazaar_")
> because the UI is likely to change and this will go out of date, and
> that documentation is better put where other people can find it.  That
> said, if there are things that are confusing it may be good to clarify
> them here, point to other documentation, or fix those documents.  (I
> filed https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/launchpad-code/+bug/372057
> already that the merge at code address isn't documented.)

This documentation doesn't say how to mark a patch as being for a particular
release or bug.

My guess is that:

 * bug linking will be taken care of by using --fixes=lp:NNNN (or through
   the web UI).
 * targeting a release is done by bzr sending to the release branch rather
   than bzr.dev?  This doesn't seem to give enough granularity to
   distinguish between “I want this in 1.x” and “I want this in 1.x.1”, but
   perhaps that doesn't matter (and perhaps bug milestones would be a better
   mechanism).

I think you're right that we shouldn't be duplicating generic Launchpad
Reviews docs here, but more probably needs to be said at least about the
release targeting w.r.t. to how Bazaar uses Launchpad for release management
(e.g. we have X.Y branches, but not X.Y.Z branches).

-Andrew.