[rfc] news layout tweak

Brian de Alwis bsd at cs.ubc.ca
Wed Mar 11 21:59:04 GMT 2009

On 11-Mar-2009, at 12:26 PM, Eric Siegerman wrote:
> So even though it's not of practical importance to me which
> change happened in which RC, I find it most helpful for NEWS to
> somehow indicate that, simply as an aid to comprehension -- so
> that, when reading the NEWS for a final release, I don't have to
> mentally diff it with that for the preceding RC, or go to the
> effort of physically diffing them.

FWIW, I prefer Karl's approach.  I rarely run RCs, and would prefer
seeing the changes between the previous release.

Perhaps the changes between RCs be sent as part of the announcement to
the mailing list?  That would satisfy people like Eric.  The NEWS file
would be against the previous release.  The RC changes should be
(mostly) a matter of diff'ing NEWS from the previous RC.

Brian.

--
"Amusement to an observing mind is study." - Benjamin Disraeli