thought of the day: bzr is making some developers' heads hurt.

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Sat Feb 7 09:17:49 GMT 2009

2009/2/7 Alexander Belchenko <bialix at ukr.net>

> > This made me think of something somebody at work asked me recently:
> > "I need to backport this fix to an older release branch, but I don't want
> > think about it. Can you quickly do it for me?"
>
> So, what is the actual problem? May be you need to write some sort of short
> howtos for your colleagues?

I did write a simple howto, but it is too complicated.
they are used to using graphical user interfaces, so if you start telling
them some simple commandline stuff, they think it is complicated and they
get confused.

> > Granted it is not the simplest of scenarios, and our setup is also
> > suboptimal (even unoptimal :) .
> > (several developers sharing the same workingtrees on a dev server,
> > because the setup for the whole system is so complicated it was deemed
> > better to just
> > set up one instance and we share it)
>
> I hope something can and will be changed here.

Our project is at its end, so we won't fix that now.
But I started working on my laptop with everything checked out using scmproj
a while ago, and our Technical Lead, also wants to start using that.
(BTW, I'm not a svn expert and glad to be. but do you think its possible to
do the multicomponent magic of scmproj with svn (without scmproj))

The problem is our project has too many dependencies, which is a lot of
effort to install:
Oracle (its handy to use Oracle XE on your laptop then you can work
anywhere)
php compiled with oracle bindings,
tomcat, jboss, apache.

regards