problems running bzr

Martin Pool mbp at canonical.com
Mon Nov 10 23:51:11 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:09 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that searching for the traceback module is not the error
> you are actually running into.  The issue is that if you are in a python
> file and do "import foo" it has a whole search path for where "foo"
> might be. It may be in the same directory as the current file, it may be
> in a system directory, it may be in the directory where the application
> started, etc.
>
> Can you give more information about what your original failure is?
> (Without the debug mode.)

This is EFAULT which I think is normally returned only when an invalid
memory address (C pointer, as opposed to network address) is passed to
a system call.  (eg http://www.wlug.org.nz/EFAULT)  In my experience
it normally indicates something is wrong at quite a low level, eg a
kernel bug, executable file corruption, memory hardware error, or a
too-highly-overclocked system.  It would be possibly caused by a bug
in a C extension (though 99% of the time that will cause a sigsegv not
efault.)

Bonnie, it might be useful if you could run at the shell command line

  python -c 'import traceback'

and let us know if that works.

Also, what operating system are you using?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>