problems running bzr

Bonnie Lucas lucas at usna.edu
Wed Nov 12 16:11:42 GMT 2008

-----Original Message-----
On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 8:09 AM, John Arbash Meinel
<john at arbash-meinel.com> wrote:
> I'm pretty sure that searching for the traceback module is not the error
> you are actually running into.  The issue is that if you are in a python
> file and do "import foo" it has a whole search path for where "foo"
> might be. It may be in the same directory as the current file, it may be
> in a system directory, it may be in the directory where the application
> started, etc.
>
> Can you give more information about what your original failure is?
> (Without the debug mode.)

This is EFAULT which I think is normally returned only when an invalid
memory address (C pointer, as opposed to network address) is passed to
a system call.  (eg http://www.wlug.org.nz/EFAULT)  In my experience
it normally indicates something is wrong at quite a low level, eg a
kernel bug, executable file corruption, memory hardware error, or a
too-highly-overclocked system.  It would be possibly caused by a bug
in a C extension (though 99% of the time that will cause a sigsegv not
efault.)

Bonnie, it might be useful if you could run at the shell command line

  python -c 'import traceback'

and let us know if that works.

Also, what operating system are you using?

--
Martin <http://launchpad.net/~mbp/>

Here the is the result of the command:

[13] > python -c "import traceback"
[14] >

I am running SunOS 5.10 Generic_127128-11 i86pc i386 i86pc

Python version 2.5.1

Here is the output from the original failure without the debugging
information

> mkdir testfoobear
> cd testfoobear
> echo "Testing" > bearfile1
> bzr init
Standalone tree (format: pack-0.92)
Location:
  branch root: .
> bzr add
added bearfile1
> bzr commit -m "first try"
Committing to: /home/lucas/testfoobear/
added bearfile1
Committed revision 1.
> ls -la
total 16
drwx------   3 lucas    cserv        512 Nov 12 10:59 .
drwxr-xr-x  49 lucas    cserv       4608 Nov 12 10:59 ..
-rw-------   1 lucas    cserv          8 Nov 12 10:59 bearfile1
drwx------   6 lucas    cserv        512 Nov 12 10:59 .bzr
> cd ..
> mkdir testfoobear2
> cd testfoobear2
> bzr branch ../testfoobear
bzr: ERROR: [Errno 14] Bad address

Another item I discovered today was that it appears that sometime the file
is deleted from the original directory.  But that did not happen in this
case.

Thanks -b