problems running bzr

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Mon Nov 10 22:09:42 GMT 2008

Bonnie Lucas wrote:
> I am new to bzr and python.  I am trying to get the package working but
>
> am having some problems.  I have run bzr in debug mode to find where the
> problems live.
>
> Here is the trace:
>

> /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/log.pyc^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/traceback.so^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/tracebackmodule.so^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/traceback.py^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/traceback.pyc^M
>
> bzr: ERROR: [Errno 14] Bad address^M
>
> /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/log.pyc^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/traceback.so^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/tracebackmodule.so^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/traceback.py^M
>
> # trying /usr/local/lib/python2.5/site-packages/bzrlib/traceback.pyc^M
>
> bzr: ERROR: [Errno 14] Bad address^M
>

> The traceback module actually lives in /usr/local/lib/python2.5 -  I
> don’t understand why the package
>
> is not looking in the root directory.

> Thanks - bonnie

I'm pretty sure that searching for the traceback module is not the error
you are actually running into.  The issue is that if you are in a python
file and do "import foo" it has a whole search path for where "foo"
might be. It may be in the same directory as the current file, it may be
in a system directory, it may be in the directory where the application
started, etc.

Can you give more information about what your original failure is?
(Without the debug mode.)