How to view full log messages for pending merges?

James Westby jw+debian at jameswestby.net
Thu Aug 28 22:22:57 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-08-28 at 15:33 -0500, John Arbash Meinel wrote:
> Unfortunately, we don't have a good way to address that right now. All of our
> revision specs are based around the Branch, and only the Tree knows about the
> pending merges.
>
> Any suggestions of notation to use? For example:
>
>   bzr log -r pending:1
>
> Could give the log based on the first pending merge.

Hi,

I tried to hack this up the other day. I had it sort of working,
but it would fail when tested, or something, I never quite worked
out why, and it was a gross hack for the reason you give.

I was using "parent:", which I think could be a useful revspec
anyway. I hadn't worked out whether it would be possible to
unambiguously refer to the first parent of the working tree or
of the last revision, but as it didn't work I stopped thinking
about it.

The other question is whether they are numbered from 0 or 1.

"bzr log -r pending:" could just show the single pending merge
if there is one, and either show the first or error where
there is more than one, so it would cover the common case very
well. I think "pending:" separate to "parent:" is a good idea
for this reason.

Thanks,

James