bzr-eclipse and qbzr-eclipse

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Thu Aug 21 11:24:56 BST 2008

Nick,

On Thu, 2008-08-21 at 10:36 +0200, Nicholas Allen wrote:

> I should warn you that my plugin is in its *very* early stages. It does
> not support automatic rename/delete, enabling or disabling of commands,
> or a context menu, or automatically save files before invoking the bzr
> commands. These are all planned features, however.

Missing is missing as well :-)

> You are right that Qt does not follow the gnome look and feel very well.
> It is definately better at emulating the Mac and Windows widget sets. I
> may also add support for bzr-gtk and add a preference (or automatically
> detect if it is installed) and use one or the other. This will make it
> fit into a gnome desktop better. But then the name QBzrEclipse is  a bad
> one. However, this is not a high priority for me - the qbzr plug-in
> provides a better interface than the Gtk one and I am not bothered by
> the fact it doesn't look like Gtk (even though I am also a Gnome user).

My theme is obviously more sensitive to violations than yours -- but I
guess this is my problem.

> I am in the process of setting up an update site. I'm still learning how
> to do this and to find a public place where I can upload the files.
>
> In the meantime, if you want to be adventurous and try my plug-in I have
> attached a jar file. You just need to copy this into your
> eclipse/plugins directory. Please note I have only tested on Eclipse
> 3.3. The icons look terrible (wrong size) and some are missing. I have
> done no testing on Windows or Mac. Like I said it's not polished yet but
> useful functionality is already there.

I think the jar needs renaming to fit the Eclipse plugin jar naming
strategy?

(Remember I am fundamentally an Emacs and command line person, I
generally don't like IDEs and am only using Eclipse, NetBeans and
IntelliJ IDEA basically because I have to.)

The plugin seems create a menu item in the menu bar, but isn't the
standard Eclipse way to populate the Team context menu.  Certainly this
is what CVS, Subversion, and bzr-eclipse do.  So I guess there is an
issue here about fitting in with the Eclipse way of working or imposing
a new way of working on Eclipse.

> I would greatly appreciate any feedback but please don't be too harsh -
> it is after all pre-alpha and unreleased at the moment!

I think there is going to need to be a way of switching between
bzr-eclipse and qbzr-eclipse -- at least if the Eclipse standard
paradigm is followed.

An alternative is for bzr-eclipse and qbzr-eclipse to merge so that
there is a single plugin which deals with the standard Eclipse way of
working and provides all the Qt (and/or GTK) goodness?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7585 2200, +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077