bzr-eclipse and qbzr-eclipse

Nicholas Allen allen at ableton.com
Thu Aug 21 12:12:17 BST 2008

Thanks for the feedback.
> I think the jar needs renaming to fit the Eclipse plugin jar naming
> strategy?

Actually it is in the Eclipse naming mechanism as it uses the package
name that the plugin is under and I haven't decided what that is yet.
Maybe I should put the code in a package called
org.bazaar_vcs.qbzr_eclipse. I will do this before creating my update site.
> (Remember I am fundamentally an Emacs and command line person, I
> generally don't like IDEs and am only using Eclipse, NetBeans and
> IntelliJ IDEA basically because I have to.)
>
> The plugin seems create a menu item in the menu bar, but isn't the
> standard Eclipse way to populate the Team context menu.  Certainly this
> is what CVS, Subversion, and bzr-eclipse do.  So I guess there is an
> issue here about fitting in with the Eclipse way of working or imposing
> a new way of working on Eclipse.

I want a menu in the menu bar - that way you always have keyboard
shortcuts to perform operations. Commit is just Alt-B-C for example. I
want this plug-in to be very keyboard friendly. Also note that
bzr-eclipse can add a menu to the menu bar (but it using the obsolete
action sets extension of Eclipse and you have to configure this manually
yourself). I would like to add the ability to turn this off in
preferences (eg a checkbox "Show menu in menu bar").

Like I said I have not added a context menu yet which is why you don't
see it in the team menu.

But actually I really dislike the team stuff in Eclipse. It is very much
oriented towards centraliszed version control systems and does not fit
in with distributed ones. Why do I have to "Share a project" to put it
under Bazaar version control or tell Eclipse that this project is under
version control? That is completely counter intuitive. One of the
features of this plugin is that it recognizes Bazaar branches without
you having to use Eclipse to create them and without having to "share"
them or tell Eclipse about them in any way.

Cheers,

Nick