Bazaar books [was Re: Fwd: [Python-Dev] Primer on distributed revision control?]

Russel Winder russel.winder at concertant.com
Thu Mar 27 10:34:09 GMT 2008

Ian,

On Thu, 2008-03-27 at 10:34 +1000, Ian Clatworthy wrote:

> I think this is a *great* opportunity for someone with the time and
> energy to make it happen. There is certainly a market now and that
> market will only increase, hopefully exponentially :-) , in the future.

Well I am up for it.  If there is someone else out there wanting to form
an authoring team then let's go for it.

I am used to authoring in LaTeX or FrameMaker, but O'Reilly and Manning
appear to prefer DocBook/XML (which I have never used but I am tooled up
for for reasons which are unlikely to become apparent in the short
term :-)

O'Reilly, Manning and Pragmatic Programmer's authoring workflow seems to
involve Subversion and not allowing the authors to render their own
versions of PDFs locally on demand which is a real pain unless you are
permanently connected to the Internet.  I am sure that a Bazaar based
workflow can be organized on top of the Subversion stuff :-)

> I can say that I'm not working on one and not planning to any time soon.
> My focus will be on improving the core docs and removing other adoption
> barriers as outlined here:
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/SprintLondonMarch08/Brainstorms.

I am in a position to commit to an authoring project, and this one
interests me.

> BTW, there is a wiki page for people to put up book ideas:
> http://bazaar-vcs.org/BazaarBook. Perhaps a few people could get
> together and work on one?

If we can get a (small!) authoring partnership together and we can get a
contract then yes putting information on this page is a very good move.
Not only is it good marketing, it is also a huge carrot/stick for the
authoring team to actually get on and deliver!
--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder                 Partner

Concertant LLP                   t: +44 20 7193 9203
41 Buckmaster Road,              f: +44 8700 516 084
London SW11 1EN, UK.             m: +44 7770 465 077