versioning Linux config files on two servers with cross-mounted /home folder

Harald Meland harald.meland at usit.uio.no
Fri Mar 21 23:41:50 GMT 2008

[Rahul Nabar]

> Hi,
>
> I've been using Bazaar VCS for versioning various scripts and config
> files in my Linux home dir and it works great for me so far. Now we
> have a somewhat atypical setup here such that there's two login
> machines serverA and serverB but both having the same /home dir
> cross-mounted.
>
> To start with, I have bzr installed only on serverA. But it often
> happens that I am on serverB and decide that I want to change a file
> and commit changes etc. (changes on A are transparent on B etc. due to
> the mount) Right now I don't have bzr on serverB so I have to go back
> to that folder on serverA and do the job. It'd be convenient to have
> an integrated repo that was accessible from both servers.

If your repo is placed somewhere on the cross-mounted file system
(e.g. as ~/.bzr/repository/, which would be the result of running "bzr
init ~"), then you already have an "integrated repo" that's accessible
from both servers.

> My problem though is that it'd be the same file visible on serverA and
> serverB since they are cross mounted. Should I install bzr on ServerB
> too?

If I've understood the situation correctly: Yes, I think that would
solve your problem.
--
Harald