versioning Linux config files on two servers with cross-mounted /home folder

Rahul Nabar rpnabar at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 22:01:03 GMT 2008

Hi,

I've been using Bazaar VCS for versioning various scripts and config
files in my Linux home dir and it works great for me so far. Now we
have a somewhat atypical setup here such that there's two login
machines serverA and serverB but both having the same /home dir
cross-mounted.

To start with, I have bzr installed only on serverA. But it often
happens that I am on serverB and decide that I want to change a file
and commit changes etc. (changes on A are transparent on B etc. due to
the mount) Right now I don't have bzr on serverB so I have to go back
to that folder on serverA and do the job. It'd be convenient to have
an integrated repo that was accessible from both servers.

My problem though is that it'd be the same file visible on serverA and
serverB since they are cross mounted. Should I install bzr on ServerB
too? Any special settings?  Even my ~/.bazaar/ is "visible" on both
servers due to the cross mount.

Basically I just need a unified change tree; it does not matter to me
whether the file was changed and committed via a login on serverA or
serverB. What's the best solution here? Any advice?

-Rahul