[MERGE] improve documentation of send/merge relationship

John Arbash Meinel john at arbash-meinel.com
Sun Mar 16 14:30:11 GMT 2008

Peter Schuller wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> +    with bzr send. If neither is specified, the default is the upstream branch
>> +    or the branch most recently remembered using --remember.
>>
>> ^- Maybe "most recently saved using --remember" or "most recently merged with
>> - --remember".
>
> Changed to latter.
>
>> ^- When merging a branch, by default the tip will be merged. To pick a different
>> revision, pass --revision. If you specify two values, the first will be used as
>> BASE and the second one as OTHER. Revision numbers are always relative to the
>> branch being merged.
>
> Changed. Note that this paragraph was not originated by me, though the
> patch may have given that impression because I had to touch all of the
> lines as a result of adding some at the beginning.

Sure. It also happens that code review is a good time to make sure the
existing code nearby is decent. We try not to block on it, but it is
nice to clean up things when you see them, or it never gets done.

>> We might also want to mention "cherrypicking" as part of what happens when you
>> specify two revisions.
>
> Added.
>
>> ^- This makes the help look nice, but breaks the command.
>>
>> Specifically, the name here is turned into a python variable to pass to the "def
>> run()" function.
>
> Sorry, I should have tested and/or actually read the surrounding code
> more carefully. I payed attention to it this time.
>
>> And you can't have a variable named "branch|merge_directive". We could change
>> this to "branch_or_merge_directive" if you prefer.
>
> The attached bundle does branch_or_merge_directive. I also considered
> just "source", to be general yet short. I kind of like it, but on the
> other hand it may be confusing in case the reader interprets it as
> "source code". Opinions?
>
> BB:resubmit

What about just using 'location' ? I don't really care, though I think
"BRANCH_OR_MERGE_DIRECTIVE" is starting to get pretty long.

BB:tweak