permissions problems on sftp repo

Thomas Nichols nichols7 at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 10 15:51:17 GMT 2008

Neil Martinsen-Burrell wrote on 2008/03/09 2:18:
> Thomas Nichols <nichols7 <at> googlemail.com> writes:
>

>> I've tried using both sftp:// and bzr+ssh:// protocols, same issue.
>>

> bzr+ssh and sftp should exhibit the same permission problems because they both
> log you in through sshd on the server.

Thanks. Mattias' suggestion for this (chmod -R g+s .bzr) works well for
me using bzr+ssh.

>> How are other people tackling this? Is there a daemon bzr-server I could
>> leave running, so that thomasn:users could issue client requests to this
>> server (and the server process would be the only one making filesystem
>> changes to the repo)? Is the only solution to commit from my dev box as
>> user carriebot? Or is this workflow better supported by a different
>> approach?
>>

> You can run a persistent bzr daemon with the ``bzr serve`` command.  This server
> listens on a designated port and is specified on the client side using
> bzr://host/path URLs.  I'm not sure about the authentication and security status
> of this server when not tunneled over ssh.
>
> You should be able to start the server as whatever user and group you would like
> for the health of your repository.
>
> -Neil

This looks interesting, but I haven't got to the bottom of using bzr+ssh
to communicate with the bzr smartserver. Anything I should be reading?
I've worked through
 * http://bazaar-vcs.org/Bzr_and_SSH
 * http://bazaar-vcs.org/Specs/SmartServer
 * http://doc.bazaar-vcs.org/bzr.1.1/en/user-reference/bzr_man.html#serve

but not yet worked out what I'm supposed to be doing. Is it yet possible
to run a bzr serve process on the server, and have clients access it
over SSH (read/write) without needing to set up an explicit SSH tunnel
on each client? I want something like a 'bzrserve+ssh://' protocol...

Wildly OT: I just can't understand why people are getting so wildly
excited about git, and to a lesser extent hg, while bzr gets so little
attention, when bzr is Just So Good(tm). I'm thinking particularly of
the Rails community, which seems fixated on git, when typical project
sizes are just a few thousand files, symlinks abound and features like
directory renaming are really useful. Very odd.

-- Thomas.